Bonifacio, H.J. and Rosenthal, S.M. (2015). Gender Variance and Dysphoria in Children and Adolescents. Pediatric Clinics of North America, 62: 1001–1016
- Gender nonconforming and transgender youth are seeking medical care at younger ages.
- Youth with gender variance are often marginalized and misunderstood by their health care providers.
- Mental health comorbidities in youth with gender dysphoria significantly diminish when receiving gender-affirming care.
- Providers should understand the use of hormone blockers and cross-sex hormones as a strategy in addressing gender dysphoria.
- Prompt referrals by medical professionals should be made to an interdisciplinary team experienced in addressing the unique challenges faced by transgender youth and their families.